- Experimental condensed matter physicist seeking opportunities in R&D.
- Highly-motivated creative, collaborative, and communicative problem-solver.
- Visual arts background, with continuing involvement and leadership within arts community.
Device Fabrication and Characterization: photo- and electron-beam lithography, wet and plasma etching, sputter deposition, thermal and electron-beam evaporation, mechanical thinning, AFM, SEM, Acoustic Micro-imaging
Cryogenic Systems: Oxford Kelvinox 25 Dilution Refrigerator, Quantum Design PPMS, high-vacuum systems, superconducting magnets, quench-deposition of films
Experimental design and measurement: AC and DC resistance measurement, resistance noise (PSD)
Analysis & Other Software: Origin, LabView, AutoCad, Mathematica, Gwyddion, MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN | July 2018
Thesis: 2D Mott Hopping of Vortices in an Amorphous Indium Oxide Film (Advisor: Dr. Allen Goldman)
B.A. Physics Major, Studio Art Minor
Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH | May 2004
Graduate Research Assistant
University of Minnesota, School of Physics and Astronomy, Minneapolis, MN |
- Studied the superconductor-insulator transition in thin films through low-temperature experiments.
- Designed and performed precision, low-temp. magneto-transport measurements, with full analysis.
- Four years with full responsibility for and use of Oxford Kelvinox 25 dilution refrigerator.
- Designed new lab space and infrastructure for dilution refrigerator; performed/oversaw lab move.
- Collaborated externally to develop superconducting films and semiconducting heterostructures.
- Designed and fabricated electrical devices from these materials.
- Operated, maintained, upgraded chamber for quench-deposited aluminum films.
- Advised and mentored junior graduate students.
SULI Intern and Research Assistant
Physics Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- Redesigned an ion trap on heavy ion mass spectrometer to accommodate cryogenic cooling.
- Simulated space charge distribution due to ions in heavy-ion coolers using MS Excel.
Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH | 2001-2003
- Participated in research projects "Pulsar Scintillation through the Interstellar Medium" and "H2 Diffusion from a Fullerene Lattice."
University of Minnesota, School of Physics and Astronomy, Minneapolis, MN
- Taught the writing-intensive introductory physics sequence and modern physics.
- Coordinated responsibilities for teams of 6-10 teaching assistants as Head TA, 2010-2012.
After-School Science Instructor
Children’s Home and Aid, Lowell Elementary School, Chicago, IL | 2008-2009
SD&A, Chicago Symphony Orchestra Annual Fund Campaign, Chicago, IL
Sonoscan, Inc., Elk Grove Village, IL | 2005-2006
- Detected defects in a variety of samples using high frequency acoustic microscopy.
- Served clients in microelectronics, aerospace, materials, and other major industries.
- Responsible for all outgoing microscope equipment as Quality Control Team Leader.
Oberlin College Community Radio, WOBC 91.5FM, Oberlin, OH | 2002-2004
APS March Meeting, Vortex Variable Range Hopping in a Conventional Superconducting Film, Session A31: Superconductivity: Vortex Phases and Dynamics. Los Angeles, 2018
APS March Meeting, Griffiths Effects in the Quantum Phase Transition of an Indium Oxide Film, Session V25: Superconductivity: Superconductor-Insulator Transitions. Baltimore, 2016
Condensed Matter Sack Lunch Seminar, Using Dissipation to Tune Superconductivity in Ultra-Thin Films, University of Minnesota, 2014
Northern Spark, Some River Waves Physics, Mississippi Megalops Floating Chautauqua. St. Paul, MN, 2011
Art Shanty Projects, So You Think You Know Ice?, Warming Shanty. Plymouth, MN, 2007
Groups & Associations
Member of Board of Directors
Art Shanty Projects, Minneapolis, MN | 2016-present
American Physical Society | 2012-present
City Art Collaboratory, Public Art St. Paul, St. Paul, MN | 2012-2013
Board Member and Coordinator
Women in Physics & Astronomy (WiPA), UMN, Minneapolis, MN | 2009-2015
- Coordinator 2012-2013.
- Organized events to facilitate community and mentorship between women within and beyond the UMN Physics/Astro department.
- Proposed, wrote, and followed-up on grants to support WiPA activities.
Awards & Certifications
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Outstanding TA Award
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University of Minnesota, MN | 2012
The Soft Shop, Art Shanty Project Grant
Soap Factory, Minneapolis, MN | 2007
Acoustic Micro Imaging Expert
Sonoscan Inc., Elk Grove Village, IL | 2006